How to get soft loose curls:
- Wash your hair with a gentle shampoo. Apply a lightweight conditioner to the ends of your hair. Dry your hair until your hair is slightly damp. If your hair is naturally curly, use a round brush and a blow dryer to straighten your hair. Comb your hair and remove any tangles.
- Apply setting lotion or a volumizing mousse to damp hair. Do not use a large amount of this styling product because it will weigh down your hair.
- Plug in the curling iron. The size of the curling iron barrel will determine how loose the curl will be. Use a large barrel curling iron to create loose curls and waves. Allow the curling iron to heat up until it has reached the proper temperature. Most curling irons have a light that indicates the optimal temperature for curls.
- Use a comb to create a part in the middle of your hair to get the most natural looking curl pattern. Or create a part on the opposite side if your hair is flat and needs a lift.
- Separate a 1- to 2-inch section of hair with the comb. Begin working on the hair shaft about 3 inches from your scalp. Use your opposite hand to wind your hair around the barrel of your curling iron.
- Hold your curling iron vertically and away from your face. Keep the iron in this position for about 10 to 15 seconds. Gently open the curling iron to release your new loose ringlet. Repeat this technique until you have curled the rest of your hair.
- Allow your hair to cool so that the curls can set. Use your fingers to gently break up the curl. Don't pull at the curl because your hair will frizz.
- Spray your hair with a long-lasting hold hairspray. Avoid touching your hair because loose curls tend to frizz.