11.29.2011

One Cape. Five Ways.

You know that feeling when you just invested in a unique vintage-inspired blazer or a luxurious fur (faux of course) coat and the only thing running through your head is what in gods name are you going to pair it with? You get all excited from finding that one out-of-the-ordinary asymmetrical sequined blazer that is on the pricey side but buy it anyways after convincing yourself you will get multiple uses out of it, when in actuality you will probably end up shoving it in the back of your closet after your cousin's bar-mitzvah. Then once spring-cleaning comes around and you decide to get rid of some old clothes, you grasp your unworn garment just because you shelled out on it, only to end up using it as an adornment for your computer chair. Well...I know I certainly feel this way when I find myself splurging on a one-of-a-kind item. Many of these unique items end up in the back of the closet mainly because they are tricky to style. I always see magazine articles and blogposts on styling wide-leg trousers, maxi-dresses, and even chunky sweaters but I never really see them on the "trendy" items like fur vests, ponchos, and capes. 

As a matter of fact, the cape is one of 2011-2012's new fall/winter staple items as it veers towards the I-wanna-be-a-hot-horseback riding-serbian-ice-princess trend (well thats what I like to call it). But unlike a chunky knit sweater, or a cozy cardigan, the cape adds a slightly more modern appeal and sophistication to fall/winter garb. It has a structure, a distinct shape, and eludes a sense of parisian mystery.

This J.Crew Wool Cape is the epitome of fall/winter sophistication. It is in neutral nude color, which allows it to be paired with anything (except spandex, I'm serious) and the thick wool is perfect for the colder seasons, especially here in New York. However, to get out of the trap of not knowing what to wear and throwing it in the back of your closet, here are five ways I would pair it:
 






xoxo

3 comments:

Joyce said...

Wow I love the outfits you put together! I really love outfit 1.

Marissa said...

Um, can I have every single one of these outfits in my closet now please? So cute! xoxo Marissa

http://happiness-is-the-little-things.blogspot.com/

Jennifer B. said...

what a great post...really love the first look with the pop of color!

Search

Popular Posts